Qatar says 400 workers were killed while building infrastructure to host the Soccer Tournament
The head of Qatar's World Cup organizers has said around 400 people died during work to build the stadiums and infrastructure to host the World Cup, a much higher figure than previously reported.
Speaking in a TV interview with Piers Morgan on Tuesday, Hassan Al-Thaëadi said Qatari authorities did not have an exact figure when first asked how many migrant workers had died.
"The estimate is about 400," he said. "Between 400 and 500, I don't have the exact number. This is something that is being discussed."
The Qataris have previously given a figure of just three work-related deaths, with a further 37 deaths that were not work-related. Rights groups believe the true number is likely to be much higher, but say it is impossible to determine an exact number because the deaths are not investigated.
Earlier, the media reported that the victims were in the thousands, not as many as the Qatari authorities were declaring.