Shëndeti

US family at risk from high level of mercury at home. Cause beauty creams

US family at risk from high level of mercury at home. Cause beauty creams

A Minnesota woman lost part of her eyesight and inadvertently put her entire family at risk of mercury poisoning from using beauty products containing high levels of the toxic chemical, according to a CNN report.

"Nobody wants to intentionally harm themselves or their family members. But it's out there and you can't see it, you can't smell it. There's no way for consumers to know if mercury is in the creams or not because it's not in label", say the doctors.

The woman sought medical help after reporting a range of symptoms, ranging from insomnia and leg pain to muscle weakness, fatigue and eventually losing her vision. Clinical tests revealed high levels of mercury in her blood and urine.

"She will not recover her sight," one of the doctors told CNN.

Doctors added that there are likely many more people out there who are exposed to toxic levels of mercury and are not showing symptoms, or at least not yet.

Mercury has long been used in skin whitening products because of its ability to block the production of melanin, the pigment that gives skin its color.

US Federal Drug Agency regulations and the Minamata Convention on Mercury – an international treaty to protect human health and the environment from mercury – limit the use of mercury in cosmetics, including those used around the eye area, to 1 mg /kg of mercury.